Media Training for Pharmacists
Media Training for Pharmacists & Student Pharmacists
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Ohio Pharmacists Association
2674 Federated Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43235
Faculty: Steve Burson, R.Ph.
Managed Care Sales Coordinator, The Kroger Co.
Writer/Producer, Kroger Television Network
8:30 a.m. Registration
9:00 a.m. Media Training: An Introduction
10:00 a.m. One-on-One Interview Critiques: Round 1
11:30 a.m. Lunch
12:15 p.m. Media Training: The Interview Process
1:15 p.m. One-on-One Interview Critiques: Round 2
2:45 p.m. BREAK
3:00 p.m. Media Training: How to Pitch a Story
4:00 p.m. Adjournment
At the completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. identify five basic concepts for media interviews;
2. describe five response techniques for answering media questions;
3. identify five behaviors that can contribute to a poor interview;
4. describe five behaviors that can help control the topic of an interview;
5. identify three actions that are necessary in pitching a story to the media;
6. demonstrate how to effectively communicate in a media interview; and
7. apply this training to successfully answer questions from the media.
Pharmacists are experts in drug therapies and are often approached by media to be interviewed on pharmacy-related stories. Most pharmacists do not receive media training during college or through their employer, and may be uncomfortable or uncertain on how to answer questions from the media.
This training workshop provides a basic understanding of how to prepare for a media interview, and techniques to answer questions so that the pharmacist and student pharmacist are more confident and savvy when talking to the media. Participants will receive one-on-one critiques of their interviewing skills on camera. Our speaker will provide insight into how pharmacists can initiate and develop long-term relationships with members of the media.
Participants will learn the appropriate methods to contact various media outlets, such as television, radio and print, and pitch stories of interest to the media that the pharmacist can provide expert insight on.
Pharmacists will earn 6 contact hours (0.6 CEU) of pharmacy continuing education credit.
Space is limited. Register now. For secure online registration, REGISTER TODAY!
To download and print a registration form click on the following link: Media Training for Pharmacists July 2012.